Monday, August 10, 2009

Triathlon

On Saturday Jeff and I competed in a Sprint Triathlon at Rancho Seco, which was .5 mile swim, 16 mile bike, and 3 mile run. It's actually the same tri we did together three years ago for our official first date. They start the race in waves of five minute increments, going through the men first. Our plan was to have Jeff wait for me in the transition area after the swim so we could do the bike and run together. After I got to the trans. area after my swim, Jeff had discovered that his bike had a flat, so he was fixing it and was almost done by the time I was ready to go. I thought he would be right behind me so I went ahead, but it took him longer to put the tire back on than we thought and he never caught up. I feel really bad that I didn't wait since that was our plan in the first place. Anyhow, low and behold, I won first place in the group I was racing with, which was Athena. For any of you unfamiliar with what that is...I call it the fat girl club! Really. It's a category for women over 150lbs. We decided to stick around for the awards ceremony just because, and next thing you know I've got a first place plaque in my hand. We had a fun day doing something together that reminded us of that first date. We both finished in under 2 hours. Sorry for the blurry picture, when a stranger so kindly takes your picture you can't really ask them for a redo after looking at it, can you?

11 comments:

Melissa Savage said...

Way to go! First place, impressive! I want to do a Tri, but I don't know about the swimming part...

Alisa Pierce said...

YAH!!! That's awesome!

Jeff and Kristy said...

The swimming part isn't a real issue. You don't need to train, just pretend like you're swimming ashore from a shipwreck. That's what I do.

Jeff

CAHOON CLAN said...

Kristy--you are my inspiration!!! That is sooooooo cool. And you have a BABY!!! Amy (Chandler) Kartchner has done this for the last 2 years too--maybe I'll join you guys next year--I could be in the "fat girl" catagory with you!! =-) Way to go!!

LudvigsonFamily said...

That is awesome Kristy, way to go!!!

Doug & April said...

Great job!!

Cindy said...

Way to go Kristy! I'm sure some "skinny" girls aren't as hard core as you!! :)

Justin said...

Dude that is awesome that you guys do sprint triathlons together. I'm starting to train for one.

Eric and Jackie said...

Okay, that is not the "fat girl club" unless you are like 5'2!
And besides Athena was created by an Asian woman who finished the race and said, "Hey aftar race I be A-theen-a girl!"

Jeff and Kristy said...

you are too funny!

Jessica said...

Look at you guys! I always wanted to do that with Brett. It's so hard to find time to do extra things together.