Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Peru, Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands

These posts are way overdue, but as you read down you will understand why it has taken me so long to update our blog. I posted them all today, however they go back over the last few months. First of all, we went on a three week expedition to Peru and Ecuador with a non-profit organization called Wings Worldwide to provide dental humanitarian services. This trip was so amazing, the people were so humble and thankful, and we got to see so many magnificant sites. Sorry for all the pictures but I had to choose from the 300 we took. (I will put the descriptions under the picture so you don't get confused.)

This was at Equator Park in Ecuador where we actually stood on the real equator and Jeff balanced an egg on the head of a nail.

This was also at the park.


Jeff working away in one of the clinics. We had very make-shift stations with lawn chairs for the patient chair and we also had to use head lamps to see.
Me working away...and by the look on this girl's face, she knows I'm about to get her numb!

Children in the streets of Cusco, Peru. The elevation here was about 12,000 feet.

Ruins outside of Cusco, Peru called Ollantaytambo where they layed these huge stone bricks on top of each other and somehow formed them to fit perfectly.


Children at a school in Moray, Peru. This was about the highest elevation we visited which was almost 14,000 ft. It was a beautiful site with the snow capped Andes surrounding us. We were fortunate not to get altitude sickness.
Jeff and Rob pulling out teeth, which is most of what we did on these patients to help them.

Salt mines.

The famous Macchu Picchu in Peru. This was such a sacred site that only the most spiritual families could come and live here in the 14th century.


This was in Puno, Peru where we were on our way to Lake Titticaca to visit the Isles of the Uros which are man-made islands made out of reeds.

You can't see how thick it is but the islands float on 6 feet of mud which is covered by another 6 feet of reeds which they have to lay down weekly. There is a small community of LDS members on these islands as well.
And this was our yummy lunch we were served while working on the islands...fish, rice and a potatoe. I especially loved the fish head left on the fish!
To finish up the trip we went to the Galapagos Islands where we finally got some warm weather. If you look close, there is an iguana off to the right of the old boat.

This was a very friendly tortoise who posed like this for the whole group to take their individual pictures. He was so cute.

We got in some snorkeling time which was really cool. We were hoping to see some sharks or sea turtles but we only saw colorful fish.

These were real turtle shells so we just had to get into them.

11 comments:

Jenn Mize said...

That is so awesome. What an amazing experience for you guys! Looks like you had fun too. ;)

Christina said...

I really can't believe you could eat that fish being pregnant, it would have definitley made me puke. I truly admire you.

Lisa said...

I am jealous!

Boydston Family said...

what an amazing trip. i am jealous. It looks like you guys managed to help people and have a geat time. Hope to see you soon

Amanda Hardman said...

What an awesome opportunity! What a fun trip! That's so cool that you guys got to go there.

Jessica said...

What!!! I'm so excited that your pregnant. Your trip looks like it was a good experience too.

Anonymous said...

wow - this was an excellent post. When I went to the Galapagos, seeing sea lions, blue footed boobies, curios seals, flamingos, albatrosses, penguins, sea urchins, manta rays, was the most magical thing in the world to me.

Great Galapagos turtle shots!

Cheers!

Samantha Harding
USC

Britty said...

What a trip. You guys are so active and always up to something fun and exciting. That Macchu Picchu is incredible. I can't get over those pictures. I've never seen anything like it. How neat to have been there, and do a little service in the meantime.

Your house was soo cute and fun. It will surely be the party house in the future!

LudvigsonFamily said...

Hi Kristy!! How are you? Your trip sounds like it was totally amazing, what a cool thing you two got to do together. I don't know if Cindy has told you, but I am expecting a little boy in Jan also!! Our due date is Jan 11th. That is fun that we are both due around the same time. How is your pregnancy going? Sure love ya and miss you!
Rachele

Unknown said...

Hey! Beautifull pics!!
You remind me so much of the Ecuador Galapagos tours I did last year with my boyfriend...
It was the best!!
Thanks for sharing, I love looking pictures of an amazing place as Galapagos is

ceduna said...

Hi Jeff or Kristy, I note from your blog back in 2008 that you visited a school in Moray in the Sacred Valley. My wife and I visited the Misminay community in that area last year. I took a photo of some school kids coming home from school on a donkey. One young lad in particular was quite cheeky but very appealing in the photograph. Long story short I would like to send him and his school a small gift from Australia if I can find an address. Do you happen to have an address for the Moray school? Foe interest,I am Norm Bennett and I live in a small coastal town called Ceduna on the Great Australian Bight in South Australia.